Eating the right foods can become a bit dull if you don’t spice it up with some indulgences. But that doesn’t mean eating sugar-laden foods or unhealthy snacks. Since I have eaten whole foods my taste buds have become readjusted. I no longer crave sweet, sugary desserts. I can enjoy just a taste of something less sweet or even savory to satisfy that snacking urge I get now and then.
Here’s a list of the top 10 foods best for snacking while trying to keep on track to lose weight.
- An ounce of raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, any nuts except peanuts or pistachios)
- Raw veggies with humus
- Half of an avocado
- Two hard-boiled eggs
- Two ounces of sliced or cubed cheeses
- Leftover proteins topped with a little mustard (chicken, turkey, beef)
- One piece fruit that is low on the glycemic index (berries are a good option)
- Pork rinds (for the crunchy chip lovers)
- Cashew and date rolls (recipe in a earlier post)
- And my favorite – two pieces of dark chocolate (70% or higher dark cocoa)
No matter what you decide to snack on keep in mind that a snack is not a regular meal. It’s an occasional treat. It’s all too easy to fall back into the comfort of eating extra food. If you’re not hungry, don’t eat. Drink a glass of water. If you get hungry right before bed, then one of these snacks is a good choice for you.
I eat two cashew date rolls about an hour before bedtime to make certain that my blood sugar doesn’t drop in the middle of the night. It took me a while to figure out why I was waking up around 2 am every night. By adding that little treat before bedtime, I sleep all night without interruption.
More tips to come in later posts…